Matcha apple pie filling for the holidays!
December 04, 2018
No matter your beliefs, holiday rituals or traditions, warm wishes from all of us at DōMatcha® for this season of gratitude and reflection. The chill in the air has us either cosying up inside or fortifying ourselves to step outside. Either way, winter is a perfect time to enjoy matcha as part of your daily routine. The L-theanine and caffeine in matcha pair perfectly at keeping you relaxed but alert, even when the days are short!
We never pass up an opportunity to share matcha with family and friends, which is why we love adding it to our holiday dishes and desserts. This recipe for apple pie matcha filling is easy as – well, easy as pie! It can be baked in a pie with your favourite homemade pastry recipe (or storebought – we won’t tell!) as well as enjoyed on its own with a scoop of ice cream over top!
Homemade Matcha Apple Pie Filling
Makes about 1 pie’s worth
- 4 medium apples, peeled and diced
- 1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons water
- 3 tablespoons either salted butter or vegan-friendly substitute such as coconut oil
- 1 tsp of coconut oil or other oil of your choice at liquid room temperature
- 1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
- 1/3 cup sweetener – sugar, or find natural alternatives like maple syrup, agave syrup, or coconut sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- Pinch of cardamom
- 1 tsp DōMatcha® powder
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized pot until butter is melted but not sizzling, and remove from heat.
- Whisk your DōMatcha® with the 1 tsp of liquid coconut oil until it is in a fine, well-mixed paste with no lumps. Make sure to wash your whisk with gentle soap and water and let dry properly after whisking with oil!
- Add in everything EXCEPT the apples, and stir until everything is well-mixed. Add the apple slices to the pot and put the pot on medium heat.
- Stir the apples for about 4-5 minutes or until they are tender. Make sure the apples stay firm rather than getting too soft and mushy. Take the pot off the heat, and transfer the apple pie filling to a glass jar or bowl.
- Before using it or storing it, cool the apple pie filling to room temperature.
- Enjoy thoroughly!